Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sauteed Sage and Sunflower Seed Salad Topper

I'm always interested to learn new ways to use my fresh herbs and garden produce.  Last weekend I tasted fresh sage that had been sauteed in sunflower oil and maple syrup.  I was hooked!  I'd only ever cooked and eaten dried sage.  Oh my!  I've been missing out on truly fresh flavor...that is, until now.


Last night I put together a spinach salad with some fresh-from-the-garden Roma tomatoes and shredded cabbage.  Usually, this is fine just as it is for a salad.  But I decided to give sauteed sage a try and chopped a bunch of sage, sauteed it in sunflower oil and then added a tablespoon or two of Maple syrup and a handful of dried cranberries. 
 

The mixture is dark but ohhh so flavorful.  I topped the salad with the sage/maple/cranberry mixture and then sprinkled sunflower seeds on top of that.  OH!  SO!!  GOOD!!!


I can imagine that sauteed sage/maple/cranberry/sunflower seed topper would also be wonderful on sweet potatoes, roasted pork or chicken. 
 
The Sunflower seeds added the perfect crunch and complementary flavors.  And yes!  I'm in a Sunflower craze right now.  I just cannot get enough of these sunny faces that greet me each day from the garden. 
 
Thought you might enjoy seeing a progression of sunflowers opening over a 4 day period.  So for your viewing pleasure, here you go!












Until next time,
 
Cheers!
 
 





I can be found sharing at these online parties:
Share your stuff Tuesdays, The Koenigs Create Midweek Linkup Party, Share it One More Time, Much Ado About MondayFeathered Nest Fridays, DIY Vintage Chic Friday, Herbanmama Wildcrafting Wednesday, The Style Sisters Centerpiece Wednesday, Sew-Off Saturday Sew Can She , Brag about it Tuesday Be Betsy , Shabby Art Boutique Shabbilicious Friday , Give Me The Goods Monday , Homestead Barn Hop , Whimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time , Hickory Trail , Make the Scene Monday (at Alderberry Hill), From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome Life , Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup, Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays , Frugal Fit Family Friday Follow Along , Sweet and Savory Sunday , Sugar and Slice Sunday , This Gal Cooks Marvelous Mondays , This Silly Girl's Life, Living Better Together TGIF Linkparty , DIY Sunday Showcase , Sweet 2 Eat Wonderful Wednesday , Dear Creatives Inspiration



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos Jennifer and its nice to exercise our taste buds thank you for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.