Saturday, February 21, 2015

Pugliese


The Mister has been whining politely asking me to make bread, or as he says, "I want some good, chewy, crusty bread!  Something with bite and chew."    So....what else could I do but make a loaf of bread.


A year or so ago I purchased THE BREAD BIBLE written by Rose Levy Beranbaum.  Truly a bread recipe book if you want to know how to make and bake good bread.  I handed the heavy tomb (it IS a big and heavy book) to the Mister and asked him to pick out any bread he would like and I'd give it a go. 

The techniques and baking process Ms. Beranbaum uses are explained well in step by step format.  The Bread Bible contains a huge variety of different types of breads, rolls, pizza crust.  The ingredients are simple but it is the process...both in the making of the Dough Starter or Biga, as it is called as well as the method of baking.  This bread starts out baking in a 500 degree F oven for 5 minutes and then the temperature is lowered to 450 degrees F for another 20 minutes.  Prior to putting the bread into the oven at the preheated 500 degrees you put ice cubes on a tray of the oven floor and then put the bread in on the lowest shelf.  This creates the moisture in the very hot oven needed to create this fabulous bread.


Pugliese bread is very much like  Ciabatta or Focaccia breads.  Chewy, big air holes and flavorful.  It is a fairly small loaf; about 6 inches across and 3 inches high.  I don't think it will last through the day at the rate The Mister is eating it so I should get back in the kitchen and see what other tasty recipes I can find in The Bread Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum.  I highly recommend this book if you enjoy making bread.


Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer



Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Some of my favorite Blog Parties I enjoy attending:
 
The Dedicated House Make It Pretty MondayWonderful Wednesday Blog Hop Pure Grace Farm,   Worthwhile Wednesdays, Wake Up Wednesdays, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, FoodySchmoody Tuesday Tastings,  Delish Dessert Link Party, Share your stuff Tuesdays, Anyonita Nibbles Tasty Tuesday'sShare it One More Time, Much Ado About MondayFeathered Nest Fridays, DIY Vintage Chic FridayThe Style Sisters Centerpiece Wednesday, Sew-Off Saturday Sew Can She , Two Cup Tuesday , Shabby Art Boutique Shabbilicious Friday , Give Me The Goods Monday , Homestead Barn Hop , Whimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time ,  From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome Life , Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup, Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays Sweet and Savory Sunday This Gal Cooks Marvelous Mondays , This Silly Girl's Life, Living Better Together TGIF Linkparty , DIY Sunday Showcase , Dear Creatives Inspiration, Super Saturday Link Party

2 comments:

  1. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw this pop into my feedly with the big letters PUGLIESE!!! I know that Puglia is an area in Italy, so I guess this is where this bread originated! It looks YUMMY!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, I thought of you all the time I was making this! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.