Monday, January 26, 2015

Homemade Bird Suet


One of many things that I've loved since moving to my little farm is watching birds!  Where we used to live I rarely had the chance to observe so many species of wildlife and especially the feathered friends variety.


My bird feeders are hanging just outside my kitchen window.  Since I don't have a dishwasher, I've discovered that there is a lot of entertainment to be had just watching birds while I go about my daily chore of washing dishes.  It is hard for me to admit this but...I actually look forward to washing dishes...just because there is a wonderful feathered show in store for me.


Just as many of you have had, we've had some very frigid temperatures lately. The birds NEED extra fat and protein to carry them through the winter. I feel fortunate to be able to enjoy watching the birds and feeding them and I think it is my responsibility, once I began the feeding the birds, to be sure that they continue to have sustenance available at my feeders through the winter months.

 
"MY" birds love suet blocks and go through the suet blocks every week.  Last week I decided to see if I could make my own suet and happily discovered that it is very simple to make.  So the next step was to see if my homemade suet was to my feathered friends liking.  I'm delighted to say, YES!  They seem to love it.
 
Here is my recipe for homemade Suet:
 
 
Homemade Wild Bird Suet
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups lard
  • 2 cups peanut butter
  • 2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup birdseed
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Directions:
  1. Melt lard and peanut butter in a large pan.  Once melted combine the remaining ingredients and stir well.
  2. Pour mixture into a 13" X 9" pan and allow to cool.  I set mine in the freezer for an hour or two.  It's perfectly fine to put the pan into the refrigerator too..
  3. When the suet has cool cut into blocks to fit your suet feeder.  

  4. If you don't have a suet feeder that uses blocks don't worry!  Once your suet has cooled enough to handle, form into ball and place inside mesh bags that you get oranges/apples/onion in and hang them from nearby trees.
 
 
I would be remiss if not to add that store bought Suet is cheap!   I will also admit that probably my recipe costs a bit more per suet block than the ones you can buy ready made.  That being said, I enjoy the satisfaction of making the suet myself for my bird friends. 
 
Feel free to vary this recipe to your heart's content.  I think next time I'll reduce the amount of peanut butter.  I will probably add more cornmeal and perhaps  add peanuts.
 
What is most important is to have a high fat source of energy for the birds in the wintertime.  They need the fat.  You can also save and use bacon, beef and pork fat.  Bacon fat is fine but use it sparingly since it also contains nitrates and chemicals that the bird don't need in great quantities. 



Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer



Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Some of my favorite Blog Parties I enjoy attending:
 
The Dedicated House Make It Pretty MondayWonderful Wednesday Blog Hop Pure Grace Farm,   Worthwhile Wednesdays, Wake Up Wednesdays, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, FoodySchmoody Tuesday Tastings,  Delish Dessert Link Party, Share your stuff Tuesdays, Anyonita Nibbles Tasty Tuesday'sShare it One More Time, Much Ado About MondayFeathered Nest Fridays, DIY Vintage Chic FridayThe Style Sisters Centerpiece Wednesday, Sew-Off Saturday Sew Can She , Two Cup Tuesday , Shabby Art Boutique Shabbilicious Friday , Give Me The Goods Monday , Homestead Barn Hop , Whimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time ,  From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome Life , Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup, Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays Sweet and Savory Sunday This Gal Cooks Marvelous Mondays , This Silly Girl's Life, Living Better Together TGIF Linkparty , DIY Sunday Showcase , Dear Creatives Inspiration, Super Saturday Link Party

3 comments:

  1. Wow so interesting is your post Jennifer and your wild life l just love watching the birds too! and great to be able to make your own fat balls cheaper too! looks like the birds are enjoying it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea of making your own bird food. Especially now with all the cold and snow our birds need the feeders. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat idea!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.