Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cake Dome Sunday #37: CRANBERRY CHESS PIE


This PIE! This pie right here: Cranberry Chess Pie.  You've got to try it!

Last Monday was Thanksgiving here in Canada.  I had made the Gingerbread pumpkin bars that were very much like an eaten-out-of-hand pumpkin pie, so for the Mister's Thanksgiving dessert I wanted to bake him something in keeping with Thanksgiving tradition (cranberries) but not pumpkin (since we'd already had it in a dessert.)
 
This might not be a pie that wins prizes for its appearance but the flavor is spectacular!  The cranberry flavor is bright and brilliant and it is baked in a buttermilk cream/custard and encased in a butter crust.  Tartness and sweetness balanced!  Deeeeeelicious.
 
Copy this recipe down.  Even if you don't make it for Thanksgiving, you might want to give it a try during the Christmas holiday season. 
 
CRANBERRY CHESS PIE
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 single crust pie shell
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 orange, for zesting
  • 3 large eggs
  • 7 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon cornmeal
  • Pinch of Kosher salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Paste
  • 2 cups of coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
  • Confectioners' sugar for dusting the top of the pie prior to serving
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
  2. Place the pie shell on a baking sheet and brush the rim with beaten egg
  3. Combine the sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Zest the orange over the bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the side and bottom of the bowl after each addition.
  4. Whisk the flour, cornmeal and salt together in a small bowl.
  5. Stir the buttermilk and vanilla paste together in a small bowl.
  6. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix just to combine.  With the stand mixer on LOW, add half of the buttermilk mixture and mix just to combine.  Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix just to combine.
  7. With the mixer on LOW add the rest of the buttermilk mixture and mix just to combine.  Add the final 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix just to combine.
  8. Scrape the side and bottom of the bowl and incorporate any unmixed butter.  Gently fold in the cranberries.  Pour the batter into the prepared pie shell and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. 
  9. BAKE for 40 - 45 minutes, rotating 180 degrees every 20 minutes.  The pie is done when the top is slightly puffed and has turned a light golden brown.  Cool to room temperature.
  10. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.  Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Recipe from The Hoosier Mama Book Of Pie by Paula Haney


 
This pie was a delightful surprise.  What I mean is, I expected it would taste good, but it was oh-so-much better than I ever anticipated.  It's unique and happily so!  I hope you'll give it a try if you like cranberries.
 
Until next time,

Cheers!
 
 

 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

This post was featured:




 

I can be found sharing at these online parties:


 
 Clever Chicks Bloghops, FoodySchmoody Tuesday Tastings,  Delish Dessert Link Party, Share your stuff Tuesdays, Anyonita Nibbles Tasty Tuesday'sShare it One More Time, Much Ado About MondayFeathered Nest Fridays, DIY Vintage Chic FridayThe Style Sisters Centerpiece Wednesday, Sew-Off Saturday Sew Can She , Brag about it Tuesday BeBetsy , Shabby Art Boutique Shabbilicious Friday , Give Me The Goods Monday , Homestead Barn Hop , Whimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time , Hickory Trail , Make the Scene Monday (at Alderberry Hill), From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome Life , Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup, Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays , Frugal Fit Family Friday Follow Along , Sweet and Savory Sunday This Gal Cooks Marvelous Mondays , This Silly Girl's Life, Living Better Together TGIF Linkparty , DIY Sunday Showcase , Dear Creatives Inspiration



17 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    The pie looks delicious! I'm suffering from pumpkin and apple overload these days (even though I love pumpkin and apple desserts). I love cranberries, so this pie would be a winner in my book! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pie. It sounds like a great addition for the holidays. Visiting from Marvelous Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so interesting!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week! Don't forget to enter the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing and so good! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, this sounds amazing! I love fresh tart cranberries and this pie looks like the perfect way to bake them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a chess pie, but this sounds wonderful! I'm stopping by from Whimsy Wednesdays.

    Lauren @ imperfectandfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this looks GOOD. Cranberries combined with custard, can I just say yum! As I too was celebrating the Canadian Thanksgiving, I will have to save this recipe for Christmas. Oh it looks good, although I'm almost hoping that the rest of my family doesn't like it so I can eat it all to my self (but don't tell them I said that) ;)
    Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness...this looks SO wonderful! I just love cranberries in just about anything AND I love chess pie...what an awesome combination! And I think the pie is beautiful as well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I will be featuring you on The Sunday Favorites at http://thequestionablehomesteader.com/ please feel free to stop by and grab a button from my Buttons Page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi just stopping by to let you know you have been featured at one More Time Events http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/10/share-it-one-more-time.html
    Thank you for sharing...hugs Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was on another blog and caught a sight of your Cranberry Chess Pie. Not only is my mouth watering right now but this definitely will be a new recipe to try. I can't wait!

    I would love to have you to link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/10/clever-chicks-blog-hop-58-with-three.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, I think it looks delicious! Yummy, buttery, and custardy! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks wonderful, Jennifer! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jennifer, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC later today.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. This does look amazing and I just bookmarked it....
    I am following with bloglovin and Google Friends connect.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made this over the weekend for our annual Friendsgiving and it was a huge hit! Thanks for such a delicious recipe.

    -Lauren @ imperfectandfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, I'm tickled pink to know you made the pie and that your gathering enjoyed it. "Friendsgiving"! What a wonderful idea!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.