Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Peach Jam


It's that time!  What time, you ask?  Time to do the Can-Can!  No, not the dance.  I'm talking about canning, jarring up, putting up summer produce to last the rest of the year.  And yesterday I made 15 half pints of my favorite  PEACH JAM!

 
The first Ontario peaches have arrived at the fruit markets.   I went a little crazy and purchased about a half bushel, I think.  Peach jam is always first on my list to make. 


Looks like a lot of jam, doesn't it?  No worries here though.  It will be used on toast and biscuits, as a cookie and pastry filling, mixed in with our breakfast yogurt and/or oatmeal.  It will top ice cream and pancakes.


Peach Jam

Ingredients:
  • 10 cups of fresh peaches, blanched, peeled and chopped
  • 9 cups white sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 teaspoon pure orange extract

Directions:
  1. Combine the peaches and 5 cups of sugar in a large stock pot.  Mix well to combine and bring the peach mixture to a boil stirring often to prevent sticking, burning or scorching!  Allow to boil for 15 minutes
  2. Add butter, the remaining sugar and orange extract.  Bring to boil again and boil for 15 minutes more.  (The butter is added to reduce the amount of foamy froth created from boiling.)
  3. Test jam consistency on a cold (out of the freezer) saucer.  If the jam is too runny, boil a few minutes long and retest thickness on a cold saucer.
  4. Pack hot jam into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch of headroom at the top.  Wipe the rims with a clean, damp cloth and seal with lids and ring bands.  Process the jars in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of  Anna Wight from her blog, Sassy & Sweet Notes.



This luscious peach jam won't last long!  Guaranteed!

Until next time,
Cheers!





 
 
I was featured:

Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom


I can be found sharing at these online parties:
Sew-Off Saturday Sew Can She , Brag about it Tuesday Be Betsy , Shabby Art Boutique Shabbilicious Friday , Give Me The Goods Monday , Homestead Barn Hop , Whimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time , Hickory Trail , Make the Scene Monday (at Alderberry Hill), From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome Life , Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup, Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays , Frugal Fit Family Friday Follow Along , Sweet and Savory Sunday , Sugar and Slice Sunday , This Gal Cooks Marvelous Mondays , This Silly Girl's Life, Living Better Together TGIF Linkparty , DIY Sunday Showcase , Sweet 2 Eat Wonderful Wednesday , Dear Creatives Inspiration



10 comments:

  1. Yummo! I LOVE peach jam....never tried it with the orange, though, and it sounds delish! I just finished canning 7 pints of bread & butter pickles...the first I've canned in probably more than 30 years! We'll see how they taste in a month or so!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, do you get as excited as I do seeing your jars all lined up? I get such a thrill out of putting up produce. Simple pleasures, eh? Let me know how your pickles taste. DELISH, I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sandra, it is super yummy! I need to slow down before I eat it all before winter! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you've been told this, but you seriously need to open a bakery or something. Everything you make looks divine! Hope you're doing well. Tori will be 12 in just 2 more weeks. School starts the day after her bday. Still no stamping for me, still doing digi-scrap. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! NO WAY!! Tori cannot be 12 already. Just isn't possible! I'll be stopping by to see all of your fabulous digi-scrapbooking artwork.

      Delete
  4. Ohh your jam looks wonderful! I tried making jam for the first time about a month ago, and it was a complete and utter disaster! I was so upset, it was just a big, sticky mess! Your jam looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Maria! How disappointed you must have been. What happened, do you know? If I can answer any questions or help at all, just let me know. I've had enough disasters over the course of many years that I probably can come up with some help. Cheers!

      Delete
  5. I made Peach Jam today as well! Wish I had seen the recipe you used first though as I prefer my jams without added pectin (the recipe I used had added pectin). Definitely going to pick up more peaches though and give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Love Peach Jam - I am sure your home smelled wonderful! Love your jars and your photos are gorgoeus,
    I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.